Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Who am I?

So who am I, and what on earth makes me any kind of expert enough to publish a cooking blog for kids? Did I graduate from a culinary school? Do I cook for a living? Am I a dangerous criminal bent on world domination through the delivery of mind controlling substances to the nation's children? And how many more ridiculous questions can I ask?

SO, to answer in no particular order no, no none, and no (although I would like my daughter to be President some day...)

So, in order to start at the beginning, I was born...

No, far too pretentious, even for a Brit. Let's start over.

I'm english, but have lived and worked in Los Angeles for the last ten years as an Assistant Director in film, TV and commercials. So how does this qualify me to write this blog? It doesn't, but having a 6-year old daughter, and a currently 7 month old son does.

I also had the benefit of a Mother who insisted on teaching all her sons (she had four of them, poor woman) how to cook. This skill benefited me immensely throughout university  - apparently girls find guys cooking attractive - and also helped my score my wife, who hates cooking, and so basically hooked up with me because she was tired of being hungry (she claims there was more to it than that, of course, but I have my doubts).

What this means is that I have been responsible for getting food into my children's mouths for a while now. Good food. Food that is both nutritious and palatable to a 2 year old - something that can be somewhat of a challenge, as any parent of a two year old will tell you!

Quite how I hit upon pancakes, let alone the power packed kind, I don't quite know. I like to think it was divinely inspired, but I suspect it was simple desperation. Anyway, it suddenly came to me that adding an extra couple of eggs to the pancake mix, throwing in some blueberries, and then freezing the uneaten ones for later consumption, might make for some easy - and relatively healthy - snacks.

And so the greatest culinary creation of the 21st century was born.

OK, so maybe that is a bit of an overstatement, but they do taste pretty-bloody-good, even if I do say so myself (plus my daughter likes them).

Enough for today. More soon. 

Happy eating.


No comments: