Thursday, April 10, 2008

Power Packed Pancakes Evolve...

SO, please see the previous post for exactly how I got the basic idea, as I will be continuing from there...

Now that I think about it, I suspect that I started the power packed pancakes earlier, because quite quickly I moved from just plain milk to adding formula to the mix, (we had a few cases of powder left over, as we had mainly breast fed my daughter... I say "we generously, of course - I mean my wife) as I reasoned that this would contain more and better nutrients than regular milk, so combining the two together...

OK, I know I have lost some people already. I can hear the parents: "He fed regular milk to a child? A baby? How could he..." and "Formula! Disgusting! What self respecting, not to mention responsible, parent would ever do such a thing! I feed my child exclusively organically grown, vegan Yak's milk..." and so on, and so on. All I am reporting is, right or wrong, what I did. 

SO anyway, that became the basic recipe for a while. Pancake mix, several eggs, and a heap of formula powder. Pretty easy, huh? The powder I was using - and in fact still use to this day when I am feeling lazy - was the Trader Joe's  Buttermilk Pancake and All Purpose Baking Mix. I love Trader Joe's, and this mix contains decent ingredients, but does carry the warning "Made on equipment shared with eggs, tree nuts and soy", so be warned. Exact proportions as follows:

1 1/2 cups of mix.
4 eggs
1 cup formula powder
3/4 - 1 cup of milk, depending on consistency.
1 tsp baking powder (stops it being as heavy)

I would beat this with either a fork or a electronic whisk until well mixed, and adjust the amount of milk so that the mix flowed smoothly but slowly off the whisk when raised - you want your mix fluid, but not too runny - or you end up with crepes - or too thick - you are not making power packed donuts (although that is an interesting discussion for a later date...)

I then transfer the mix into a measuring jug of some kind, as the lip makes it easier to poor, and it is less messy than spooning stuff out of the bowl.

Heat a pan with a little butter in it over medium heat, until the butter is just browning. Poor in the mix so that you have a 3 - 4 inch diameter pancake. Wait until bubbles are pockmarked across the top side (about 1 - 2 minutes), then turn over. Wait about the same time, and remove to a dish to cool.

Feed to child, who will devour it ravenously: mine always rather resembled the Jabberwock when eating - "The jaws that bite, the teeth that snatch..." - but perhaps yours will be a tad more civilized... One can only hope.

So there you have it. The first recipe down on paper. Onward and upward from here.

No comments: